Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Make A Mix

I love saving time & money! I have a couple of books that have taught me how to make my own mixes for just about anything! I am going to share some of them here!

The first one is from: Make-A-Mix Cookery by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward, & Madeline Westover.

Quick Mix

8 1/2 cups flour   
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups instant dry milk
2 1/4 cups vegetable shortening

In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Blend well. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Mixture will resemble cornmeal in texture. Put in an airtight container. Label. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 10-12 weeks. Makes about 13 cups of quick mix.

Quick mix makes a variety of items. I will share one today.

Karine's Drop Biscuits

3 cups quick mix
3/4 cups milk or water

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
Combine quick mix & liquid in a medium bowl.
Stir until just blended. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. 
Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Makes 12 large drop biscuits. 

This mix makes 32 items in this cookbook. I am sure it could be used in place of Bisquick also.
           

5 comments:

Prairiemaid said...

That would certainly come in handy for when company shows up...unexpected. ;)

Thanks for posting!

Blessings,
Cheryl

Nancy Jo said...

That mix sounds like a good idea. Thank for posting it.
Also nice of you to leave a comment on my site. I wonder what came in that jar that I put the marbles in?
Nancy Jo

Linda Stubbs said...

Thank you so much for this recipe........going to save it and make it!!!!!!!!

Hugs and thank you so for signing up!
Linda

Mrs.T said...

Thanks for sharing this. I love homemade mixes and have shared many on my blog. Never tried a biscuit mix (yet!) but I do own this cookbook, so based on your recommendation I will try it!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I'm so bookmarking this post, so I can come back to it tomorrow :) :) I think I have most of the ingredients. The rest I can purchase at the store tomorrow ;) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)